San Juan Unified School District | February 2014 – Present | Carmichael, CA
Develop and create print and digital materials with messaging aligned to the strategic priorities of a school district of 40,000 students. Manage social media accounts. Periodically support site leadership during crises and facilitate media coverage. Work with staff across departments and school sites to improve communication with students, families and the community. Notable successes include:
- Led internal and external communication campaign surrounding the award-winning redesign and relaunch of our district and school websites, resulting in expanded use (including a 50% increase in mobile pageviews) and improved user experience.
- Spearheaded annual Spirit of San Juan awards program for positive character, including promotion, judging, event planning and video production. Size of nominee pool and event attendance has increased nearly tenfold in two years under my guidance.
- Planned and produced videos explaining concepts such as the district’s Local Control and Accountability Plan and new System of Professional Growth in a compelling and clear manner to deepen community and staff engagement with these initiatives.
Recordnet.com | January 2011 – February 2014 | Stockton, CA
- Online Editor
Trained and managed online staff. Planned and executed multimedia projects, live web events, user contests and social media efforts.
- Web Content Producer
Posted updates to website of daily newspaper. Shot and edited video. Built special feature pages and produced interactives. Engaged users on social media sites.
WABC/7online.com | October 2009 – January 2011 | New York, NY
Interactive Web Producer
Produced, edited and distributed multimedia content for web, mobile and taxicabs. Built online features for news and marketing.
Thirteen/WNET (PBS New York) | June 2008 – October 2009 | New York, NY
- Associate Web Producer/Editor, Worldfocus.org
Managed daily news cycle on global news program Web site. Produced and researched original online content including interactives, blogs and weekly radio program hosted by anchor Martin Savidge. Handled distribution including Facebook, Twitter and YouTube. Solicited contributing bloggers and communicated with bloggers and guests. Managed interns.
- Production Intern, Wide Angle
Researched and fact-checked programming for PBS show airing nationwide.
KNDU/NBC Channel 25 | March 2008 – May 2008 | Kennewick, WA
Edited news content, floor-directed live newscasts and directed several pre-taped newscasts.
KTVU/Fox Channel 2 | June 2007 – August 2007 | Oakland, CA
KNTV/NBC11 | June 2007 – August 2007 | San Jose, CA
Commercial Production Intern
Whitman College | August 2004 – May 2008 | Walla Walla, WA
Bachelor of Arts, English with a minor in Rhetoric and Film Studies
Event planning, Photography, Print design, Project management, Social media, Storytelling, Video production, Web design and development, Web analytics, SEO and SEM, Writing
Content Management Systems (WordPress, Schoolwires, others), Google Analytics, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Lightroom, Illustrator, Premiere), HTML, miscellaneous open-source tools
2015 National School Public Relations Association Award of Merit
2015 Public Relations Society of America – Sacramento Influence award
2014 California School Public Relations Association Award of Excellence
2008 International Radio and Television Society Summer Fellow
- Selected as one of 25 (of over 800 applicants) to participate in a summer media training program.
2008 Hosokawa Journalism Award for Best News Writing
Member: California School Public Relations Association
Travel: U.S., U.K., Mexico, Canada, France, Germany, New Zealand, Spain, Sweden, Italy, Guatemala, Australia, Greece, Ireland.
References provided upon request.